The UN Secretary General Campaign on Violence Against Women and the HeForShe Gender Equality Campaign.
In order to promote peace, gender equality must be at the centre of achieving sustainable peace. This is what CAMYOSFOP has been doing over the years. On this account, once the UN SG launched his campaign on ending violence against women dubbed the UNiTE campaign in 2010, CAMYOSFOP took the lead in the implementation of this campaign in Cameroon. Through this campaign, CAMYOSFOP has achieved the following:
- In March 10, 2012 CAMYOSFOP organized the very first Mt Febe Climb in Yaounde with over 3000 participants to replicate the Africa UNiTE Mt Kilimanjaro Climb on Ending Violence Against Women from March 5 – 9, 2012.
- With the success of the Mt Febe Climb, CAMYOSFOP started advocating with the government of Cameroon through the Ministry of Women Empowerment and Family (MINPROFF) and the UNiTE Secretariat in Addis Ababa for the Official launch of UNiTE Campaign in Cameroon. This launching took place on Dec 08, 2012 under the patronage of the President of the Republic with activities preceded by the Hon, Minister of State, Minister of Justice, Mr, Laurent Esso. During this launch, the second Mt Febe Climb on Ending Violence Against Women took place with the participation of over 10,000 Cameroonians of all works of life.
- Prior to 2013 Cameroon National Youth Day on Feb 11, CAMYOSFOP in partnership with National Commission on Human Rights and Freedoms (NCHRF), the Ministry of Youth Affairs and with the support of UN Women and the UNiTE Secretariat organized National Youth caravans on Ending Violence Against the Girls Child in the localities of Babessi in the North West Region and Lagdo in the North Region of Cameroon. Over 20,000 people of all walks of life including government officials and MPs participated in marches across these localities, speeches, musical and theatrical performance, radio and TV talk shows, distribution of posters, flyers and stickers amongst others.
- The Executive Director of CAMYOSFOP happened to be one of the architects that drafted the Communication Strategy of the Africa UNiTE Campaign. He was also invited as a Consultant to facilitate the creation of the Africa Youth UNiTE Network on Violence Against Women and Girls (AYUNet) in December 2013 in Debrezeit, Ethiopia. Finally he was also invited as a consultant to document Best Practices of the UNiTE Campaign from 2010 – 2014.
- CAMYOSFOP has continued with the UNiTE Campaign especially through the promotion of the HeForShe Campaign which could be considered as a pillar of the UNiTE Camapign. Since 2014, CAMYOSFOP has been at the forefront of registering male Cameroonians advocates for gender equality on the HeForShe website: www.heforshe.org
For details on activities of EVAWGs, log on resources and click on reports and write ups:
- Report on Mt Febe Climb on EVAWGs
- Report on Youth Leadership workshop on VAWGs
- Report on good practices on the UNiTE Campaign in Africa
- Report on feedback workshop on Network of Communicators on GBV
- Report on workshop on indicators of HIV/GBV
- Write up on Caravane contre les violence faites aux femmes